HISTORY OF LANITIS FARM
The farm was created in 1936 by the Lanitis family. The Lanitis Group of companies has a history dating back as far as 1896, when the family left the village of Lania, in the foothills of the Limassol district to come to the town trading in wine products and raisins.
The Group over the years has expanded into one of the largest and most prestigious business organisations in Cyprus, involved in agriculture, general trade, banking, tourism and hotels, leisure, construction and land development.
Lanitis Farm which is situated 5kms west of the town of Limassol, on the road leading to the Royal Air Force Base at Akrotiri, is an important member of the above Group and one of the largest private citrus producers on the island.
Over a period of more than half a century the farm produce has changed a number of times. In the 30s it begun with Olive trees, vegetables and aromatic plants, while at the same time produced honey and milk products from a large herd of sheep and goats. In the 50s it changed to vineyards becoming one of the largest local exporters of table grapes to the United Kingdom. Since the 60s until the present time the Farm is devoted to citrus production.
The founder of Lanitis Farm Ltd was N. P. Lanitis. A nature lover, who often said: “Trees are still working while we are sleeping”
His words are engraved underneath his statue, at the entrance of the farm offices.